In an emergency:

Report it to Accident and Emergency (A&E). Call 999 and request an ambulance.

Report it to the police. Call 999. There is an option for silent support if talking will put you in danger.


If it isn’t an emergency, you can speak to your GP/healthcare professional, call the police non-emergency number 101 or attend any local police station.

Support available in the community

  • Nextlink is a local Bristol service providing support including safe houses, children’s services, dedicated black and minority ethnic services, resettlement and outreach services, and a crisis response service.
  • The Freephone 24 Hour National Domestic Violence Helpline, run in partnership between Women's Aid and Refuge, is a national service for women experiencing domestic violence, their family, friends, colleagues and others calling on their behalf.
  • BAVA (Bristol Against Violence and Abuse) is a collection of people and organisations in Bristol working to end all types of violence and abuse against women and girls, and domestic and sexual violence against men.
  • SARSAS (Somerset and Avon Rape and Sexual Abuse Support) provide information on the different types of sexual violence including domestic abuse.
  • Women’s Aid support for women and children in domestic abuse situations.
  • Refuge provides practical and legal support women, children and men suffering all forms of domestic abuse.
  • Men's Advice Line is a confidential helpline for men experiencing domestic violence.
  • National LGBT+ Domestic Abuse helpline. Run by Galop, it provides emotional and practical support for LGBT+ people experiencing domestic abuse.

Support for UWE Bristol students

  • You can contact UWE Bristol Safeguarding at for advice and support, and to think about how to keep yourself safe at UWE Bristol.
  • Need somebody to talk to? Find out the support options available at UWE Bristol.

Further support

View other areas of support. 



There are two ways you can tell us what happened