If you think you’ve experienced sexual misconduct, remember that it wasn’t your fault. It is never ok for someone to make you feel pressured into doing something that you do not want to.

If you’re in immediate danger, please call 999 (or 112 from a mobile).

If an incident has just happened, try and find somewhere that feels safe.

Get support

Talking things through with someone you trust can sometimes help the immediate situation and help you think through what, if anything, you want to do.

We would strongly encourage you to contact one of the specialist organisations in Bristol for advice and support.
  • The Bridge, the Sexual Assault Referral Centre in Bristol, SARSAS (Somerset and Avon Rape and Sexual Abuse Support) and Survivors UK (for male survivors) have trained advisors who can look after the needs of a survivor of rape or sexual violence. You can speak to an advisor in confidence for advice and support.
  • Keeping Bristol Safe Partnership provide information on types of violence and support services that can help.
  • The Survivor Pathway have information online about specialist sexual violence support services in the South West.
  • Galop support LGBTQ+ people who have experienced sexual violence.
  • Survivors UK give help and advice to male survivors of sexual assault and rape.
  • Victim Support has sexual harassment guidance and support. You can call their free support line on 08 08 16 89 111 or get email support.
  • Citizens Advice provide information on rape and sexual assault. 

Report sexual misconduct

We would encourage you to report an incident, but only if you wish to. You shouldn’t feel that you have to, and you might want to talk to someone who can advise you before making a decision.

If you're thinking of reporting to the police, both SARSAS and The Bridge can provide advice and support about the reporting process to help you make your decision. You can also make anonymous reports to the Police.

You can report anonymously through Crimestoppers at any point on 0800 555 111 or use their online form.

You can report an incident using the University’s Report and Support system. You can tell us anonymously, but please understand that it will be very difficult for us to take any action – though in certain circumstances we may have to do so or to pass the information on to external agencies.

If you report with contact details, an adviser will contact you to explain your options for reporting further.

There are two ways you can tell us what happened